Saturday, June 03, 2006

Should i attempt Pomatomus socks ?

It is all over blogsphere. Almost every blog i visit has an entry about Pomatomus socks from Knitty. I downloaded the pattern and studied it. It wasn't exactly a simple sock pattern. In fact, this baby is piquant ! Spicy with a bite! What exactly is k tbl ? knit the loop at the back ?
I tried it with my green yarn from camberwell market. But it just didn't work. The 'beautiful' yarn splitted and fell apart. So much for my ironical excitement for a $3 yarn ! ( i am a #^*>% cheapo)

It was daunting and stressful. Never have i knitted something that makes me frustrated. Isn't knitting suppose to be relaxing ?!Well, the yarn has to take a back sit now, together with my stash.

Speaking of stash, tomorrow is stash enhancement expedition day ! I am going to Coburg mini yarn expo ! Gonna buy all the beautiful sock yarns and knit more socks. If i can find a stunning aqua-marine colour, it will be for my Pomatomus !

4 Comments:

Blogger OzKnitter said...

I must be the only sock knitter who's not considering knitting Pomatomus! It's a pretty pattern, but I don't like to wear lacy socks.

Knitty have a list of Knitty's abbreviations for their patterns.

Hopefully you'll find some sock yarn that's more suited to the pattern tomorrow. If not, have you been to Marta's Yarns? There's one in Elizabeth St (right next door to Coles on the Flinders St station side) or there's one in Waverly Rd East Malvern (right where Waverly Rd meets Dandenong Rd, opposite Monash Caulfield campus). They have gorgeous hand dyed/painted yarns. Lots of different colours to choose from. I use 2 strands of their 2ply together (= 4ply) for socks and they will wind the ball like that for you. Either store is great, but there is a bigger range at the East Malvern store.

I'm going to the Coburg Expo tomorrow, too. Happy yarn shopping!

10:50 PM  
Blogger B said...

I am considering that sock - but the pattern does look confusing. I want a pattern I can memorize and do anywhere. I already have WIP that require my full attention - and those are not portable. Let me know if you find the right yarn... we can do it together!

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a sock knitter, but I adore lace. "k tbl" is knit through the back of loop. If you knit in the more typical fashon (not eastern uncrossed), you approach the oridinary knit stitch from the left side of the loop that's on the left-hand needle. For "k tbl" you approach the loop from the right hand side, and knit into the back leg of the loop. What this achieves is twisting the loop that you are knitting into.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great and challenging pattern - I am trying it Toe Up!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home