Saturday, February 16, 2008

i am learning something..

hello,
the weather here has been terrible recently with cold & hot drafts in the span of 3 days. One day i was wear a scarf to work, the next day, i was drenched with my own sweat while haggling with a car salesman. What is wrong with melbourne weather ??
Speaking of which, i am shopping around for cars recently as i finally got my parking permit.( with also means that i no longer have to move just because my darn apartment block doesnt have any parking lots for me, heheh)
I realised that hunting for a small used car is very daunting. Firstly, sellers tried ripping me off by asking for exorbitant prices for cars that are already more than 5 years old. Doesn't the value of a car deprecates by more than 30 % of the original price as soon as it gets on the road ?? Secondly, there are not many small reliable used cars circulating in the market.
Eg: A driveaway price for a brand new 3 door toyota yaris is about $17500. A private sellers' selling price for a 3 year old similar model is $15000, same for most other car dealships.
As for the toyota echo, sellers are not willing to go any lower than $10000 for their stinky 5, 6, 7, 8... years old car, considering it has tremendous amount of mileage and dirty aging interiors.

Is this an ongoing issue or is it just me ?
Or is it true that some cars do indeed hold their value despite being a few years on the road ?
I have done enough homework to realise that if i were to buy a 3 or 4 year old car, i might as well get a brand new model with no questionable stains on the driver's seat and of course, without the hassle of dealing with dodgy people..
hahahah

On a lighter note,
I have been churning out more jewelry. Delicate & dreamy pieces that reflect on the simple everyday romance.
These beauties are going to be for sale on etsy soon. Wish me luck :)

2 Comments:

Blogger MelB said...

I know what you mean - you might as well get a brand new one if they're going to sell you at that kind of price. I thought at least it will go down to about $10K at the least. BTW beautiful designs on the earings.

12:33 AM  
Blogger jen said...

akqritjCongrats for being etsy-fied! Beautiful earrings and well presented!

Hmm...yea...I really think though knowing your luck, it's better to go with a dealer. At least it's safer. But if you can get a new one, just get a new one!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home