Wednesday, February 06, 2008

happy chinese new year

What happens when your first ever batch of pineapple tarts you bake for chinese new year taste like.. hmmm.. moth balls ?

Recently, due the increase of moths in my house, i have placed many moth balls in all my cupboards including my food pantry. Well, there was no warning notice on the package that i shouldn't placed it in my pantry, so i did. That's because the moths still seems to be manifesting the area even after countless cleaning and throwing out bags of dried goods.
The smell creeped into my flour and INFUSED it with its revolting stench. With an average whiff of the flour, there is no stench at all, but upon sinking your teeth into a ready baked tart, the mothy taste suddenly became really obvious.
i had a *munch.... munch.. hmm.. crap, it tastes like mothballs* moment

I have stopped eating it ever since and had stuffed them into the fridge with embarrassment.

But today something strange occurred. After 2 days untouched in the fridge, the mothy taste was gone. What a miracle ! I don't what happened inside there, could been caused by the temperature or something.

I made 2 different styles of pineapple tarts : heart shapes and wrap filled ones. I didn't want to buy flower shapes cookies cutters specially for this so i used the heart shape cutter which i already own.
Recipe is from here This is one of the easier recipe around. If you ever intend to bake this, you need to start making the pineapple filling 1 day in advance.

Enjoy!
Happy a wonderful new year ahead!

2 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

.............

o.O

Are you sure your fever & horrible taste in your mouth was not caused by these said pineapple tarts????

Looks lovely though.... :)

11:20 PM  
Blogger MelB said...

Luckily you didnt throw the tarts away - must be the heat causing the flour to emit the mothy ball flavours. I must say those pineapple tarts looks good and are also my favourite during the CNY.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home